Hello,

I'm one of those folks, although I hope I'm doing it well. I've been
doing some initial tests for an installation that uses ambisonic
recordings done with a tetrahedral mic. The B-format signal is then
decoded and played over headphones using virtual speakers panned
binaurally. I'm also adding a head-tracking device consisting of an
iPod Touch running an app that sends the gyroscope orientation to a
Max/MSP patch for altering the pitch and yaw of the B-format signal
before it's decoded. The localization is far from perfect and not as
accurate as  with pure binaural recordings but I'm very happy with the
results. Also I have yet to further calibrate the mic which will very
likely improve the image.

Cheers,

Hector