For relatively nearby distance detection such as the buzzing bee or whispering
or conversation (versus more distant sources such as in a concert hall), one
needs to deliver interaural level differences on the order of 10 ot 20 dB with
the corresponding ITD of up to 700 microseconds.  (If the sources and speakers
are relatively centered then we can ignore the pinna distance detection
problem.)  At the moment I believe only the Choueiri BACCH dummy head recording
and crosstalk cancellation method can routinely deliver this magnitude of ILD
over the full range of frequencies.  If you are synthesizing the ILD in
your virtual signals then you don't need to use a dummy head or an Ambiophone.
Of course, this ILD seems to apply only for distances to sources at the sides
of the head but in practice extreme XTC and thus real binaural ITD provides for
proximity at all frontal angles in the horizontal plane as in everyday
hearing.

RACE, if carefully implemented with directional nearfield speakers, can get up
to about 10 dB or more ILD and you might try this since it is easier (cheaper)
than using any of the other crosstalk cancelling or WFS or HOA methods.  There
is no question that Ambiophonic users report enhanced depth perception when
listening to ordinary music or the commercially available earphone type
binaural recordings but you may want more than this for what you are doing so
you should tweak the normal Ambiophonic methodology to optimize ILD capture and
reproduction.

Ralph Glasgal
www.ambiophonics.org