Le 9 juin 2011 03:40:45, Bo-Erik Sandholm a écrit :
> This paper gives a interesting aspect on the lowfrequency playback
>  http://www.maxx.com/objects/PDF/MaxxBassAESPaper.pdf

So, psycho-acoustics can help when listening conditions are not optimal
(like in a small room with small speakers).

Le 9 juin 2011 12:25:49, Fons Adriaensen a écrit :
> Just performed a little experiment.
>
> Sine wave of 50 Hz, linear rise to full amplitude in 150 ms, hold 250 ms,
> linear fade out of 150 ms. The spectrum of such a signal is more than 60
> dB down at 100 Hz re. its peak at 50 Hz.
>
> Panned to random directions in 3rd order Ambisonics and reproduced on
> the horizontal octagon at the LABEL studio (Quested SR8).
>
> I can *easily* tell from which direction it comes. There is some
> front/back ambiguity if (and only if) I keep my head fixed, but
> that is to be expected.

Great!
Did it work because of the room modes and/or standing waves at 50Hz?
Can you try with other frequencies ranges (between 50Hz and 80Hz)?
Can you also try panning a continuous tone (instead of short tones)?
(I don't have an Ambisonics installation yet, so I can't try myself...)
:)

--
Marc