Hi Everyone,

Well, now that Sarang has spoken up, he's given me the courage as well.
 I've been lurking on this list for several months now. Just to be clear, I
think you're all high-priestesses!! It's been incredible to read the
discussion (most of which has been way over my head, but I try to slog
through) and hear what people have to say.

My experience with ambisonics is odd, having sort of jumped into the deep
end after suggesting ambisonics as a solution for a school project 3 years
ago (with little knowledge of math, let-alone spherical harmonics). We ended
up piecing together an 8 channel system for a 1700 seat hall that was not
accurate in the slightest. However, my professor and the sound designer were
both blown away by the precision of what was essentially glorified panning,
despite the large hall. We used the ICST Max 4.5 externals.

Since then, we've implemented our own parallel processing audiounit/OSC
based system and we use ambisonics as an abstracted panning system for
synthetic sound environments on most of the performances we put together. My
professor loves the idea that we can encode something and play it back on
any speaker configuration with relatively consistent results (given the
halls we play are vastly different anyway, usually the ambisonic
configuration is the least of our concerns).

So my experience is almost purely empirical/trial-and-error. We've done
systems for 3 people and systems for 2000 people, some very high density and
some very low density. Mostly we just put up speakers and listen to see what
we think, or take the live-sound fudging approach of blurring multiple
systems together for different seating areas. Having taken some more math
classes, things are starting to become a bit clearer now, but I'm still
learning (that never stops!). Some of our equipment sponsors have asked me
to write things about the projects for them, which have ended up on the
internet and probably contain some mis-information.

That said, I have a two questions and an offer.

First, I'm really interested in ambisonic decoder and encoder weightings.
>From what I read, they provide a means to used fixed-point processing.
However, playing with them results in vastly different sounding results. I
made a really simple script to visualize the phase of a signal at the output
of decoders with different weightings, but I'm not sure I understand what
I'm seeing or how that has an effect on what we hear. I will try to make a
comped image of all the plots and send it out.

Second, we will be putting up a fairly large ambisonic system hanging from a
20 by 20 foot truss in the next month. I have heard that the more speakers
you can add to a system, the better it will sound. Is that true? With higher
speaker counts >20, we've had the best results by removing decoder
weightings. We seem to hear a better sense of localization for our synthetic
recordings. I had an idea that this changes the decay rate of "cosines" in
what is essentially a vector projection, so each speaker occupies a smaller
slice of the surround field "pie". Is that anything close to correct?  What
would be the optimum number and configuration of speakers for a 20' dome?
(assuming equipment is not an issue)

Ok, now the offer! Being at a place that has a lot of resources, but little
time and man-power, I wanted to offer up our inventory of equipment to the
community. We have about 90 speakers that we keep around for projects or
touring. If anyone is working on a project that could benefit from extra
speakers, drop me a line. If we've got the gear free, you're welcome to it.
It's a mish-mash of Bowers and Wilkins, Duran Audio Axys, and Mackie 824s.
We drive our systems with MOTU, RME, and SSL MADI interfaces. Also, if
people are interested in testing things on this 20x20 dome and want to come
down to Boston (it'll be up in September and October), we'd be honored to
have you as guests!

Best wishes,
Ben