"Richard" <zoanne...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Sursound] Sursound Digest, Vol 37, Issue 16
> Matrix H has always been an issue for me, I've a recording of Alan 'Fluff'
> freeman's Xmas eve 'H' special (which I believe not even the BBC has) and
> I'd love to decode it and release it for all to hear.
>
> I note with great interest the comment that "nothing decodes Matrix H well",
> does that mean my hopes are dashed ?

I have never heard Matrix H, but gather that it
was as good or as bad as other quad systems.

The Wikipedia article has an informative
section on Matrix H (written by members of this
list).  In the third reference of that section you
will find BBC Research Report 1977/2 which
gives the decoding equations for both a linear
(fixed) decoder and a logic (variable) decoder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic sound#Matrix_H
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1977-02.pdf

The fact that they had to use a logic decoder
suggests that the linear decoding didn't work
very well.  The supposition that linear decoding
doesn't work very well suggests that it was not
a very good system.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org