Fons Adriaensen wrote:

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 02:25:36PM +0100, dave.mal...@york.ac.uk wrote:

It seems you can get a patent for anything, even if totally obvious and common practise.. - check out EP1558061A2

Seems like I violated that one *today*. For a 'tape' concert in a few
weeks I was asked to modify some stereo recordings just to give them
a more 'spatial' feel when reproduced in surround, and without adding
reverb or room reflections. So I took 8 BP filters acting on either
L or R, and panned them around while keeping full range L and R in
front...  It works !!

Without any examination: A patent application (EP1558061A2) is not an issued patent. So, this is not a patent, but a patent application. Very obvious. (Issued patent would be EP1558061B.)

It is very common to encounter patent applications with overly broad claims. (One reason for this is also that you can narrow patent claims during a patent examination, but you can never "widen" patent claims. In an European patent, there is just one main claim - claim 1, whereas an American patent might allow several concurrent/"similar" main claims.)

Just for some clarification...

Best,

Stefan Schreiber