On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:49:37 -0000 (GMT), Michael Chapman wrote:

>> The modern day pharmaceutical industry is perhaps the one exception to
>the rule that patents are bad to humanity. Why is that? Well, because
>it's remained the most sacred, shielded, unquestioned, and especially
>for the longest time. In part because of the huge and quite possibly
>unfounded shielding it has. Sometimes that actually works.
>
>I've been holding my tongue, but seeing as Sampo has added an
>[OT] tag:
>
>Is it not strange that Medicine relies on patent medicines,
>whilst Surgery relies on published 'open source'
>procedures .  .  . ?

Yes, curious isn't it?

Similarly, often a surgery can be curative. In contrast, most drug
treatments are not. They are often intent upon supressing, but not
curing, the underlying issue while sustaining the revenue stream
derived from perpetual ongoing treatment.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com