On 10/09/2011 09:01 PM, David Pickett wrote:
At 04:39 09/10/2011, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
 >On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 10:16:22AM +0100, dave.mal...@york.ac.uk wrote:
 >> Does anyone know, of the top of their heads,
 >> if a film set type clapper board reliably provides a positive going
 >> leading edge to it's impulse? I can't see it not, but I'd prefer
 >> that to
 >> be confirmed by repeatable experiments.
 >
 >I wouldn't rely in it. There's some air being squeezed out, but
 >that would be a low-F thing. The real 'clap' is the sound of two
 >pieces of wood hitting each other - I wouldn't make any guess
 >as to the polarity of that wavefront.

There would be a progressive increase in pressure as the angle between
two pieces of wood decreases, but do the pieces of wood themselves
really make a sound as they hit each other, other than the sound of air
being squeezed out?

if a clapper board claps in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does its sound pressure have defined polarity?

that reminds me, i need to perceive my bed back into existence, urgently. and peek into the linen to collapse the wavefunction of my pillow into something soft and comfortable...

btw, between yawns, i've always assumed a clap of some kind would start with a clearly defined positive flank, and i can't remember seeing anything else, but that's anecdotal evidence at best.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net