Hello Jörn,
Thanks for writing. Your response isn’t too late, and it may have saved me from
potential grief. From what I’ve read, FFADO 2.0 will work with the MOTU
Traveler (first generation) and the 896HD. These are the very two MOTU devices
that I own.
Some years back (prior to learning of Ambisonics), I used Linux because there
was a lot of great freeware available for Linux users. I used (and still have)
a boxed version of Red Hat Linux 8.0. In the interest of multi-media, I
recently downloaded Ubuntu Studio 11.1 for x86 (downloaded as an iso file, and
then burned to DVD). Naturally, there is debate as to the “best” Linux for
media use.
My interest in Linux at this time is because you (and others) had recommended
or suggested AmbDec. From what I’ve read thus far, I look forward to trying
AmbDec. Chances are, however, I’ll create the requisite audio files using one
platform (i.e. Linux) from B-formatted files, and then play them back using a
PC-based DAW. The impetus for the PC-based DAW is because I’m using hardware
that I designed and built for automating psychoacoustic experiments. In a
nutshell, the hardware (photo uploaded) is akin to a voltage-operated
surface-controller that works in real time because it gets feedback (based on a
listener’s response via a response box) before a subsequent stimulus is
presented. My hardware controller works well with Nuendo 4.3 and Audition 2, so
I’ll probably stick with these (PC) DAWs. If a dummy driver is needed to create
audio files using the AmbDec software, then I imagine JACK or FFADO will work.
I have never used JACK; is it
 similar to ReWire?
For my background noise, I have recorded several “representative”
establishments/restaurants with noise levels hovering around 60-65 dBA, 70 dBA,
and 75-80 dBA. I used a TetraMic connected to a Roland R-4 Pro recorder to make
the 4-channel (raw, or A-format recordings). I then used VVMic and the cal (IR)
files that came with the TetraMic to obtain the B-format files. A separate
audio recorder was used to provide phantom power to my Earthworks
(omnidirectional) calibration mic and record SPLs. An acoustic calibrator
provided the cal tone and reference level for playing back the background
(restaurant) noise at actual levels. To me, recording a single venue and then
arbitrarily adjusting the playback level to achieve a particular SNR is not
representative of real-world scenarios. Amplifying a quiet coffee house isn’t
representative of a “louder” establishment. I don’t think many would disagree
with this idea, but most researchers use one source
 for background noise regardless of the background noise level or desired SNR.
Although Ambisonics may not be the ideal way of presenting background noise, it
has to be a heck of a lot more realistic than methods previously used to test
speech comprehension in noise, which are then reported in peer-reviewed
literature. To give you an idea of the stimuli being used to evaluate cochlear
implants, I have uploaded a few sentences (stimuli) and the respective
background noise used by cochlear implant researchers. The first file is a
stereo stimulus file and can be downloaded from

www.elcaudio.com/examples/ci_stim_stereo.wav

Without independently adjusting either the left or right gain, the SNR is 0 dB
(silence between sentences was removed to obtain the signal level in dB). If
you listen to this first file under headphones, it’s easy to ignore the noise
and concentrate on the signal. Things are a little more blurred when listening
through loudspeakers. A cochlear implant user doesn’t have the luxury of
headphone listening or spatial signal segregation (assume a single implant).
For your enjoyment, I also ran the stereo signal through a cochlear implant
simulator that generates monaural files. (Note: “stim” in the file names refer
to stimulus, whereas “sim” refers to simulation.) A monaural simulation of the
above stereo file is here:

www.elcaudio.com/examples/ci_sim_mono.wav

and a stereo simulation file (noise in one channel and signal in opposite
channel, which isn’t spatially realistic) is available here:

www.elcaudio.com/examples/ci_sim_L_R.wav

Imagine listening to your music (or a conversation) with this much distortion!
Mostly, ask whether you believe these wav files, stereo or mono, are
representative of real-world listening. This should shed some light on why I
wish to improve the methods we use to test and evaluate hearing impaired
listeners.
Thanks, as always, for your help and insight.
Kind regards,
Eric