On 6/04/2012 4:28 AM, Eric Carmichel wrote:
Greetings All,
I'm glad the topic of Blumlein, ORTF, etc. came up. I've been doing a lot of
music recording (in contrast to my usual cochlear implant research).
Eric, I keep meaning to mention the concert I recorded of music written specifically for cochlear implant folk. It was a little over a year ago and was funded by the Bionic Ear Institute.

The composer Robin Fox wrote a work with the 22 "notes" that CI people hear best. In fact that work is now going to the Paris Rostrum this year.

Here is a very good short doco on the whole concept http://www.abc.net.au/arts/stories/s3051873.htm

As this research continues, it may of course be possible for CI folk to actually have remarkably good surround sound experiences. But I do accept that the reality of that is still a little way off.

Best regards,

Haig