seva <s...@soundcurrent.com>

> was it not true that the UK did not, or would not, help to support
> the ambisonic fledgling business due to some frustrating legal
> restriction? this was a major point in the killing of the launch.

I assume by "the UK" you mean the UK
Government.  The UK Government, through the
National Research Development Corporation,
strongly supported the development of
Ambisonics; they paid for it.  While the NRDC
had strange ideas on how to market
Ambisonics, there were no legal restrictions on
them doing so.

> in addition, when MAG openly criticized (and mathematically gutted)
> the Quad stuff, he did not make friends with many in the industry and
> they made sure he was sidelined.

This looks like a reference to the obituary of
MAG by Barry Fox, visit:
http://members.tripod.com/martin_leese/Ambisonic/faq_latest.html#SECTION26

Most of MAG's criticisms were targeted at the
SQ system.  My impression is that it was CBS
who made enemies inside the industry, not
MAG.  For a different perspective on this, read
the comments by Peter Scheiber at the end of
a 1986 article in MultiChannelSound by William
Sommerwerck.  This article is available on my
Google Site under "Ambisonic stuff"; visit:
https://sites.google.com/site/mytemporarydownloads/

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org