On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 04:29:10PM +0000 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 03:51:10PM +0100, Augustine Leudar wrote:
>
>> Am I right in thinking the W component gives you enhanced distance
>> information for a given sound source ?
>
>No. W is simply essential for anything Ambisonic to work at all.
>
>Apart from the 'proximity effect', a microphone (any) does not
>provide any information on the distance of a sound source, because
>there are no other physical parameters of the sound field that
>provide distance information.
>
>A sound wave coming from a source at 100m looks just the same as
>one from a source at 10m. The only difference is a small change
>in the curvature of the wavefront (which is what produces the
>proximity effect).
>
>Human perception of distance is based on interpretation of the
>sound: known level and spectra of certain sources, the timing
>and level of reflections and reverb, etc. It's 'brainwork' based
>on a learning process and the resulting expectations. No mic can
>do that.
>
>Ciao,
>
>--
>FA
This touches on something i've wondered for a while now. Discrete surround
always sounds as though it's in a fixed ring to me. Sounds are always the same
distance away. I've experianced that with binaural recordings as well.  Is there
a surround sound method that will reproduce actual depth enough so that you
could track the movment of a fly in a room? I'd love a system where i could hear
a fly moving towards my face, veering off a few inches away, moving at a
diagonal to 5' away then zig-zaging back and around my head.

Would the lack of a visual component effect that strongly? I can still locate a
fly without seeing it.

Can ambisonics do that with a good mic for the W?

Thanks,

Bearcat