On 06/12/2012 01:49 PM, Augustine Leudar wrote:
Ok so you might not get the same effect on the speakers you're using
and maybe its not your taste in music (its not really mine either
but...) several people have told me they do get this effect .
On this track :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC80C-R9aiE

a few seconds in there is a analogue bubbly sound that seems to
spatialise itself to and from a point around 10 inches to the left of
the speakers. It works on my laptop and a Imac (slightly less) and as
I say several others have reported the same - though one or two people
people do not get the effect at all. I havent tried it on normal hi fi
speakers. Assuming you can hear this effect how do you think it can be
recreated any ideas ???

can't listen to it right now, but the description reminds me of a bass slide heard on sting's "mad about you" (album "the soul cages"), right at the end of one chorus. on a tight speaker system with good impulse reproduction and not too much reverb in the room, it materializes almost 90° to the left.

the simplest way to obtain the effect is to add some signal to the opposite speaker in inverse polarity. something similar can be done with a first order ambi panner and UHJ playback.

sometimes (depending on content), the result will be surprising, but tricks like these tend to fail on arbitrary content.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net