Greetings All,
Regarding mobile recording rigs, their seems to be belief that any recording
device or preamp that uses rotary pulse encoders in lieu of potentiometers is
intrinsically dead accurate across channels. For this reason, a lot of folks
avoid using recording devices with conventional pots for their Ambisonic
recorder. I personally prefer NOT to bring my laptop with outboard hardware
(e.g., MOTU Traveler) into the field unless absolutely necessary. I really like
the sound and quality of my Edirol Roland R-4 Pro. Very low noise preamps
(purportedly better than the R-4 without "Pro" suffix) and it's super easy to
use. But it has those horrible pots we abhor. Actually, the concentric level
adjustments on the R-4 have a conventional pot on the inside and what appears
to be an encoder on the outside. With the pots fully CW, the gain adjustments
are uniform across channels. Gain is displayed digitally on the display when
using the outer gain knobs. I confirmed
 accuracy across channels with a balanced output calibrator I built.
Briefly, my "calibrator" is nothing more than a THAT Corp. balanced line
driver, tone generator, and low-noise attenuator using Vishay resistors.
Low-noise circuitry is needed because we're dealing with mic-level (mV)
signals. The balanced line driver precludes the need for a pseudo-balanced
(really single-ended) signal feeding the R-4 Pro's balanced (XLR) inputs. All
in the name of low noise... even with short cable leads. In the end, this
calibrator could be of benefit to those who may not know whether their
digitally-controlled attenuators are truly equal across all channels. I've seen
researchers assume the voltage or attenuation at a device's port is exactly
what their MATLAB (or whatever) codes says it should be; they didn't consider
the effects of buffer resistors, loading, etc. These effects are generally not
accounted for in the software, on a computer screen, or other digital displays.
Hardware calibration isn't a bad thing at all!
RE plane waves: I saw the recent discussions regarding waves and wavefield
reconstruction. I'm not one of those persons who solves Legendre polynomials in
my sleep, so I avoided putting in my 2 cents worth. But I do have a
question/comment. Some years ago, I recall seeing articles on psychological
warfare and an acoustical "laser" that had commercial application, too. I can't
find those references (or my folder with the related JASA article, etc.), but
now I question what I read. Anyway, it seems that a sound arriving at the ear
from a coherent sound source would have to be "planar" but of fixed, or finite,
area. Waves emanating from a source or many sources (such as a water fall)
approximate plane waves as they become distant from the source. But the "area"
as well as distance of plane waves would be quite large (infinite if we assume
the wave is shaped like the surface of a sphere). Because of differences in how
planar waves can be generated, wouldn't
 there be differences in how these waves diffract around and interact with the
head, pinnae, etc. In other words, "head shadow" would vary even when the wave
generating sources' direction and angle remained the same. In some ways, this
would be akin to comparing shadows from conventional light to laser light
(assuming no reflecting surfaces to create diffuse light). Just some
thoughts... and probably has some bearing on localization experiments performed
in near field versus far field listening environments (??).

Thanks to everyone here for your help, ideas, and suggestions that have
propelled me along in my research endeavors. My latest explorations have
involved deconvolution and swept-sine sources using my TetraMic. (I use a KRK
9000 monitor as my source along with a battery operated "high-end" amplifier.
Still trying to create the Holy Grail of "real-world" stimuli for hearing
science and cochlear implant research.

Eric