Hi,

I want to design a 3D-Audio loudspeaker system on a hemisphere compatible with
Ambisonics playback. The system should have a horizontal ring of speakers but
there is no restriction in number of Loudspeakers (so far!) and the elevated
positions.

So my concern is with finding a uniform distribution of points on a hemisphere.
Assuming L available points my approach of checking uniformity is that:

- Making an educated guess of a L-point distribution on hemisphere
- Mirror down to southern hemisphere to get a full sphere point distribution LS
- Compute Spherical Harmonic matrix Y with order N <= sqrt(LS)-1
- Compute condition Number, k = cond(Y'*Y)
- If k is close to one, the distribution is quite uniform

This seems reasonable because for platonic solids this result in k=1.

Is the resulting layout than able to decode Ambisonics of order N (that fits to
LS speakers) although (N+1)^2 >> L? I guess that is dependent on the exact
decoder!?

I found that if N << sqrt(LS)+1 the condition number is nearly always low. Is
that because many points sample a low number of spherical harmonics anyway
uniformly?

Thanks for response

Best

Fabio