On 25 Jan 2013, at 18:00, sursound-requ...@music.vt.edu wrote:

I would be curious to know of even older high quality sound cards.

best,
Miguel

Hi Miguel,

how about the lowest number of channels ;-)

my performance group BMB con. still uses an atari 1040ST with a
ADAP sound card - a huge rackmount box with stereo in and out.
16 bit, but it sounds very good. I think there was commercial recording
and editing software for it, but we use it for real-time processing written
in assembler and Forth (!) - from 1988 maybe?

there was also the ACN device for the Atari stereo in/out but that was
8 bits so was used more like a distortion pedal than anything else.
I still have one. Not the sort of thing to do WFS with !!

best, Justin

Justin Bennett
i...@justinbennett.nl
http://www.justinbennett.nl