On 4/02/2013 8:51 PM, Dave Malham wrote:
and scorpions hear vibrations through their feet and have incredibly good direction sensing....I was particularly struck by your comment about distance perception, as that's one I hadn't thought about - I'll have to add that to my list

I used to work with the astounding Scottish percussionist, Evelyn Glennie (who is profoundly deaf).

She wears bare feet and combines lip-reading with vibrations through the ground/floor.

American Indians (among others) can judge distances too by attenuation of frequencies.

Haig