On 2013-04-02, Daniel Courville wrote:

... that could be actually useful:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCE5wTt_tjQ>

Sorta, kinda, like what I've been thinking about for a couple of years now wrt the April Fools' RFC tradition.

My basic idea would be to first describe why something like an "Internet Incentivization Protocol" is needed. The idea would be to note that DDoS's are increasingly a problem, so that without diminishing their incentive value within the IP ecosystem, we should compress them en route. It'd be far better if a DDoS source just said "please stab yourself in the eye this many times" to the receiver, than the current state of affairs where you actually have to pass as many datagrams to the receiver in order to cause itself to choke. "I mean, think of all the bystanders, and the children."

Thus, an elaboration of the classic "evil bit", thus far.

But then, you can go deeper. You can actually make that shit somewhat work by connecting it to certain existing standards. Especially all of the multicast protocols. At a very fine granularity. If you did it just right, you could invade all of the relevant multicast standards in one fell swoop, involving their registered numbers, in order to reserve just one reserved protocol number from each. Kind of like HTTP response code 418, "I'm a teapot". Sow some FUD/kittehs in there, just for the hack of it.

And of course, finally, make it actually implementable and useful, so that it's not *just* RFC 1149 again (http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/) but a proper implementation. Because, nowadays you could rather easily connect the idea with ingress and egress filtering, ConEx, and whatnot, so that you could suggest it be implemented within the penultimate BGP router which fails to be compliant. You actually could make it into an efficient, distributed protocol which compresses DDoS attacks at the ingress into just a few packets instead of thousands, works over a wide area, mitigates attacks on the core, yet fans out the attack into its previous form at the egress.

So as to incentivize the other side. Whence the name. So tell me that wouldn't be the April's fools' of the decade. I dare you. ;)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2