Recently I did a little experiment - i was creating the illusion of a
barman serving drinks to some people in a "snug" which is little room where
ladies off "ill repute" would have a drink in pubs in Ireland when only men
generally drank in pubs.
I did this by placing one microphone in the snug with two actors - and one
microphone on the bar and recording the scene. I then placed two speakers
in exactly the same place the microphones had been facing the inverse
direction (which happens to be towards the "audience"). An absurdly simple
idea but it worked fantastically well with the banning of the barman
walking over to the hatch and asking the people in the snug what they
wanted creating very effective spatialisation. Of course there wasnt the
same height information. I have since experimented with recreating whole
soundfields like this with many microphones placed in 3d to record a
soundfield spaced apart and then placing the speakers in exactly the same
place. It works wondefully - recently we did a church filling up and then
people taking the places in their pews and having individual conversations
(here the cocktail effect kicks in - you can listen to an individual
conversation or just hear the general hubbub of the church). Does anyone
know of others who have miced up a 3d soundfield in this way ? I have read
a couple of things but none of them are quite the same,
best,
Gus