Oh dear, sorry to upset you, Robert. I _do_ recognise the value of pink
noise and I've used it plenty of times myself for exactly the reasons you
give. However, I don't regret a bit what I said about the far greater value
of real instrumental recordings for these sorts of purposes. Pink noise is
indeed a very sensitive test of timbral alterations - but just how
important is that in the context of recording real instruments? I've
certainly heard very "real" sounding recordings which I know must have had
timbral modifications but without very close and careful listening they
have not been at all obvious - and I'm sure everyone else who's done any
recording will have observed the same.

   Dave

On 5 July 2013 17:20, Robert Greene <gre...@math.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Hugely long. But one point cries out for comment:
> It is simply nonsense to say that it would not
> be useful to have the results
> available for pink noises sources at various
> spots on the stage recorded via various microphone
> positions. It is well known and completely established
> that pink noise is a very good indicator of general
> tonal character. It is for instance by far the most
> reliable identification tag for different loudspeakers
> or different EQ settings. That one can become
> fatigued--take a break occasionally!
>
> This is just not true to say that this would not give
> a lot of information.
>
> In fact, David's whole response is just more
> of the kind of argumentation that prevents
> audio from getting anywhere. People seem
> unable to understand how analyitical thought works.
> One starts with simple situations and answerable
> questions: What does this microphone technique
> do to the frequency response of a standaidzed source
> located at various positions?
>
> It is silliness to say that this is not information.
> It is also silliness to say that this is the
> only information one needs. But the former silliness
> is worse because no one would think the latter.
>
> The truth is that the field or recording seems almost
> intent upon keeping their methods intellectually mushy.
> It is as if they do not want to know how things work.
>
> And the really odd thing is that other people in
> the sound world are not like this. Auditorium
> acousticians try like crazy to figure out what
> does what in concert hall sound. They do a good job too
> (Harris got Benaroya to match Vienna GMVS reverb time
> with in 0.1 secs bottom to top--try that with mushy methods).
> And people who make and adjust instruments study
> constantly the effects of things. All violinists know
> which strings do what to the sound. It is part of our
> work. Knowning such things does not make life less
> "artistic"--it makes it possible to advance.
>
> Only recording(and playback) seems to be attached to
> the idea that no one ought really to know anything.
> No one who has made a recording has failed to notice
> that unexpected and complex things matter. Blumlein
> miking a one point can sound quite different from
> the same at another point not far away for example.
>
> But once again, a field progresses by analyzing its work
> one step at a time not be having a club of people
> who just mess around with the ways they have always
> messed around and say that no analysis is possible because
> everything is so complicated. This is the sort of thing
> that the mush minded said about genetics say, before
> it began to be figured out. "Oh we shall never understand
> how things are inherited, it is all so complicated and hidden".
>
> To return to the main point, I think it is a basic misunderstanding
> to say that how a microphone technique records a pink noise
> source at different spots on a stage is irrelevant information.
> I think it is very relevant indeed. A journey of ten thousand
> [...]

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'