> Anyone at this year's IBC might be interested in the launch of

> Sennheiser's new microphone: the Esfera.
>
> http://www.noodls.com/view/84DDC0FB08F1DCD3D116474D5EC49E93382C4A5F
>
> Not sure on any other details as of yet so if anyone is going - could you
> report back?
> Thanks!

"Esfera provides 5.1 surround sound from just two channels, making
complicated surround mic installations a thing of the past."
Always suspected there were other channels secretly multi-plexed into
stereo ...

Seems to be not so much a mic as 'a 19" rack-mount processing unit'.

Mind you if you want a black box that turns mono into third order
ambisonics ... I met a man in a pub last night ... and ...

Michael

Michael,
I believe the man in the pub might have been me after 7 or 8 pints. Yes, I have
devised a system using a stereo mic and reverb (akin to a 70s vintage Sansui
receiver), and can go one extra step: Give you 5.1 surround with JUST TWO
SPEAKERS. It's astonishing, and you can set reverb to match any room size you
want. Very real sounding... almost as good as spring reverb.
I'm curious what Sennheiser has up their sleeve...
On a more serious note, just read that Ray Dolby died at age 80. Sad to hear.
On a lesser important note: Just completed an Advanced Vibration certificate of
training, and hoping to take my TetraMic and recorder to some job sites. This
vibration analysis ain't sissy stuff: Sites include the cooling towers of
nuclear power plants and supersonic wind tunnels. Not sure I'll record the
latter. But some of the industrial spaces, places and noises could make for
interesting Ambisonic recordings.
Best to All,
Eric C.