Hi

I do not have a 7.1 sound system so can't actually test this, also as may become apparent I don't know much about sound :-)

I would be grateful if someone could correct/confirm the following.

If I were to mix down a digital 7ch to mono I have to reduce by 1/7 amplitude to prevent clipping, so one channel will be -16.9dBfs.

If I play the track over one speaker the volume difference between one and all channels will be 16.9dB.

If I were to measure the volume at listening position (assuming anechoic and equal speaker distance) with a real 7 speaker setup then the volume difference, because the speakers are not close, would add up using power not amplitude so the difference heard/measured between 1 and 7 at full power would only be 8.45dB, so there is quite a large dynamic range discrepency?

The real reason for this question is more to do with simulation than real life, so perhaps that will make a difference - if the speakers are infinitely far producing planewaves and a soundfield is at listening position would that change anything for what levels the virtual omni would "hear".

TIA

Andy.