Andy Furniss wrote:

Augustine Leudar wrote:

Seeing as there is a dearth of 8 channel players - I was thinking I could just use a 7.1 DVD on a loop for an eight channel sound installation - as long as I can send a seperate audio signal to each of the 8 (the LF sends a full range signal too) there shouldnt be a problem. I encoded 5.1 DVD ages
ago  and I vaguely remember I needed several programs, one for encoding
AC3, one for authoring etc etc - does anyone know programs would I need to
encode a 7.1 DVD ?

According to wikipedia DVD-Audio only does 5.1 - it could be wrong of course.

The DVD-Video page claims 8ch PCM support is in the spec, but says it's not well supported by players.

Starts with the interface problems. Today you would use HDMI and USB for this. Not in any DVD specs...

AFAIK in practice 7.1 is a bluray thing.

Or you define a file format. (AAC and FLAC actually would support 7.1. This doesn't mean people are using such an option yet.

Best,

Stefan

P.S.: BDs would support "Dolby/DTS" 7.1, which means discrete 7.1. Certainly not anything like Ambisonics, so you would need in any case a new format definition.