hi *!

here's a little recording to enjoy via head-tracked binaural, for example with hector's AmbiExplorer:

http://stackingdwarves.net/download/Pool-WXYZ.flac (300mb)
http://stackingdwarves.net/download/Pool-WXYZ.wav  (770mb)

choose the wav if you download it directly to your android phone, AmbiExplorer won't play the flac. or download the flac to your computer, decode it to a wav and push it to your phone via USB.

improvised chamber music, 5 musicians and a dancer (whose footsteps you may hear, very faintly, from time to time).

approximate sound stage:
far left, slightly in the back: recorders
left: classical guitar
a bit right of center: bass clarinet
right: double bass
far right, slightly in the back: percussions and vibraphone

tetramic for ambience, individual spots per instrument. some artificial reverb to blend the spots.

lots of fun with the phone tucked under the headband of your headphones. i was able to "learn" the generic HRTFs after a few minutes. externalisation is not perfect for me (it never is), but exploring the sound by moving around with eyes closed is a definite win compared to listening to a static rendering. you might want to reduce the default hardware and software buffers in AmbiExplorer for quicker tracking. avoid jerky movements in any case, or the illusion will break down.

i have the same file in third order, write to me off-list if you're interested.

have fun,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net