On 2014-04-13, Ross Bencina wrote:

I am ignorant of the economics, but perhaps it is worth considering an FPGA-based implementation:

"An FPGA-based Re-configurable 24-bit 96kHz Sigma-Delta Audio DAC"
Ray C.C. Cheung et al.

Worth a look because I'm not *too* well educated about the economics either, but my hunch is, that'd prove costly overkill. 1-4 channel high quality converters are already available as bulk product, at very low cost (to the tune of well under a buck per channel). What you really need after that is just the interface and synch circuitry, and whatever you need on the analog side for its interfaces, noise-free reference voltages, stable, low-jitter clocking and whatnot. Something like that doesn't take high end components like tightly integrated FPGA's and their support circuitry, but at most tightly integrated opamps, fuze programmable PAL/GAL/CPLD, and the ilk.

Of course the rationale is much the same as with FPGA's -- the chip types I mentioned are basically just the smaller brothers of FPGA after all -- but the price point is much, *much* lower, in concordance with the lesser amount of stuff you have to implement yourself once the basic, hardest D/A stuff and even most of the interface logic was already bought in bulk, and since in this sort of an application, you really don't require reprogrammability (which takes at least an order of magnitude away from the cost).

Now, this is obviously just another one of my wild ideas. It's highly unlikely I would be in the position to try it out, at least any time soon. There's still a rather hefty base investment when you do something like this. But sorta, kinda, I believe the basic economics ought to pan out; I don't think even ridiculous channel counts are mainly hard today because of the cost of production, but because of the low demand and the amortization problems it causes. If so, something like this would be one helluva match with circuit design class projects, Kickstarter-like nerdy crowdfunding, or the kind of hobbyist/researcher ecosystem we have even on this list.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2