Martin Leese wrote:

Dave Malham wrote:

Oh, for cryin' out loud. Makes you want to weep - Microsoft reinventing
again what's already been done and (most of) the rest of the world
believing they're the originators...

I am no fan of Microsoft, but this seems a little
harsh.  Quickly producing an approximate
personalized HRTF using only head and
shoulders is new, and potentially useful.

I believe very useful, and (together with similar projects) very possibly on the right track to convincingly reproduce surround sound/3D audio via headphones. We have discussed this area here on this list several times before, see (for example) some sursound postings from the 16th of May (2014) ...

umashankar manthravadi wrote:

Dear Stefan how does one create hrtfs/hrirs from photos - of the pinnae, I assume?

Umashankar

IV.

http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/HRTF/docs/PHRTFpaper_final.pdf

Accurate rendering of 3D spatial audio for interactive virtual auditory
displays requires the use of personalized head related transfer
functions (HRTFs). We present a new approach to compute personalized
HRTFs for any individual based on combining state-of-theart
image-based 3D modeling with an efficient numerical simulation
pipeline. Our 3D modeling framework enables capture of the
listener’s head and torso using consumer-grade digital cameras to
estimate a high resolution non-parametric surface representation of
the head, including extended vicinity of the listener’s ear.

The JauntVR people/developpers might take note of fig. 4 in the cited document.

Figure 4: Typical use-case scenario for the personalized HRTFs computed by our pipeline. The user is being delivered a virtual experience through the HMD as well as through spatial sound rendered using the personalized HRTF computed for them by our technique.

The HMD happens to be an Oculus Rift.

Oh my dear, it is such a small world...

Best,

Stefan

https://www.mail-archive.com/sursound%40music.vt.edu/msg05743.html

The cited research paper (the .pdf-link above) and other (provided) links to papers in the thread show that Microsoft is - very obviously! - not "first" in this area. But of course they should have some real interest in this, because of their Kinect camera.

Tashev says he is now working to improve the capture system and make it smooth and speedy enough to be something a person < with a Kinect camera might be able to do at home >.

Mark Billinghurst, a professor and leader of the Human Interface Lab at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand, says that the approach developed by Microsoft could have a broad impact if the scanning process can be made practical enough

It makes absoutely sense for Microsoft to look into this area, because of their obvious interests in computer/console games, VR, interfaces etc.

You could also reproduce surround < recordings > (our interest...) via a a sophisticated binaural decoder, employing head-tracking and personalized HRTF/BRTF sets. (See Smyth Realiser, "prior art".)

There have been a lot of projects trying to derive more or less accurate HRTF data from 3D scans and (2D) photos. What still is needed is to improve these methods.

And actually, to apply them in some real-world scenario...  :-)

From the MIT Technology Review article:

"That somewhat eerie experience was made
possible because less than a minute earlier I
had sat down in front of a Kinect 3-D sensor
and been turned briefly to the left and right.
Software built a 3-D model of my head and
shoulders and then used that model to
calculate a personalized filter that made it
possible to fool my auditory senses.
Tashev’s system is a new twist on an old idea.
When Tashev quickly scans a person’s head,
his software generates an approximation of
that subject’s HRTF that seems good enough
to produce unusually accurate spatial audio.
Tashev says he is now working to improve the
capture system and make it smooth and
speedy enough to be something a person with
a Kinect camera might be able to do at home.

Mark Billinghurst ... says that the approach
developed by Microsoft could have a broad
impact if the scanning process can be made
practical enough."

Regards,
Martin

Best,