Hi Steve,
   Further to Marc's suggestion of laser pointers push through a
dodecahedron. As the actual laser modules, rather than the assembled
pointer, why not get a dodecahedron/icosahedron printed at Shapeways (or on
your own printer if you've taken the plunge yet) with flat mounting points
at all the vertices for laser modules to sit on. You could power them all
up simultaneously for some fun (or final checks) but probably better from
the pov of safety to just power them up as needed - don't want any
headlines about audio guys getting fried by mystery laser devices!

   Dave

On 16 July 2014 01:03, Steven Boardman <boardroomout...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you everyone for your input on this.
>
> Just to clarify.
> I don't need to find the angular positions of an existing speaker array.
> Although it would be good to check after installation.
> What I wanted was find the best position for each speaker, based on a
> dodecahedron, in a room that won't be completely square. I also wanted to
> maximise usable space while keeping the angles as true as possible. Which
> meant being able to rotate the centre, and if necessary move the centre
> point. The room will have a sloping ceiling and tapered sides, it also has
> a large step at the back of the room. Sliding patio doors will be to the
> front and side. Being able move and rotate a central point would allow the
> best compromise.
> I like the idea of of the laser pointers in a Dodecahedron Marc. It would
> probably be possible to construct one that has a few, thus allowing quick
> positioning in an ad hoc set up. I think I will use this idea for a more
> mobile set up.
> The good may, may be to do a 3D model after taking measurements of the
> room, in CAD or such , and then rotate and move the shape inside. It  would
> allow me to find the best positions, and then marking them is easy.
> Checking them afterwards isn't the problem.
>
> All the best
>
> Steve

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'