I have used the Bosch laser measure in a variety of contexts with great
results.  Assuming you have the horizontal angles marked out (which can be
easily done on paper with a floor plan of the room), getting vertical
angles and speaker distances is very fast and straightforward.  You'd want
to be sure to center the measurement point (the device has a few reference
points to choose from) on the tripod.  This can be tough with some tripods,
so for this purpose I ended up fabricating a gyro mount to make everything
coincident. Note though that the device will only read up to +/-60 degrees
elevation, I believe.

If your room is purpose-built, a crude mockup in something like Google
Sketchup (free and fairly easy) with speakers and furniture in place might
show you any red flags in advance.

Cheers,
Mike