I never achieved satisfactory (electronically quiet) environmental recordings
with the portable Soundfield. Maybe the ones I used weren't properly
calibrated: they were certainly affected by humidity.
I have had much better luck with the TetraMic - as long as radio interference
can be kept under control.
Garth: what cable lengths are you using and are the inputs balanced?

D.

On 07/08/2014, at 1:03 AM, Eric Benjamin wrote:

> Garth,
>
> I wonder why it is that your recordings are so afflicted by noise.  The self
> noise spec for the SPS200 is 12 dBA, which is similar to that of other
> soundfield microphones from Soundfield.  While 12 dBA isn't noise free, it
> should be pretty quiet.  As a reference, the average threshold of
> detectability for microphone noise is about 6 dBA, assuming a natural
> recording scenario.  That is, assuming that the sounds are replayed at the
> same level at which they occurred in the recording environment.
>
> Of course, it may be that the microphone doesn't meet specifications.
>
> I'm a bit confused by the recordings that you placed at
> http://listen.ame.asu.edu/sonic_events.php
>

> The first recording is labeled as "no audio".  The second recording is
> labeled as "you can hear Garth open his canteen and move some things around."
>  There's certainly a lot more noise in that second recording.  About 46 dB
> more, unweighted.  It would be interesting to try to perform some more
> controlled recordings to find out whether the noise is coming from the mic,
> or not, and whether it meets specifications.
>
> Do you ever get to the SF bay area?
>
> Eric Benjamin
>

> On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:12 PM, Sampo Syreeni <de...@iki.fi> wrote:
>

> On 2014-08-06, Joseph Anderson wrote:
>
>> I take the noise profile from each individual A-format channel...
>
> At the risk of sounding trite, what is noise? I'd argue that it isn't
> one thing, and that it's pretty difficult to define with mathematical
> precision. If you're talking about environmental background, then
> approaches like gating A-format or some other suitable directional
> representation of sound is a good idea.
>
> If you're talking about tape noise instead, that isn't directional at
> all, at least until you get into directional masking calculations over
> what you can throw away without getting caught. In that case you'd want
> to operationalise what you consider noise, then find out an optimal way
> of extending that idea to B-format, and do the kind of joint processing
> Eero suggests.
>
> The easiest way probably is to go with just W in the sidechain and equal
> gating for all the channels in the main one. The next step would be to
> do the same per frequency, and so on. However, in the ambisonic world,
> you'll then bump into a third source: the mic. Since the Soundfield
> works on differencing principles, W has a totally different noise
> profile from XYZ, and typically it only gets worse from there as the
> order goes up. (Or it doesn't; that depends wholly on the mic geometry.)
>
> The point is, I don't think there is a monolithic thing called "noise"
> which can be just blindly "reduced". There never was even in monophonic
> recordings, and the free degrees of freedom in your signal chain just
> multiply when you go through stereo to ambisonic. So, you need to be
> careful about which source(s) of unwanted hiss, distortion or bogus
> [...]

______________________________________
Prof. Dr. David Worrall
Emerging Audio Research (EAR)
Audio Department
International Audio Laboratories Erlangen
Fraunhofer-Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen IIS
Am Wolfsmantel 33
91058 Erlangen
Telefon  +49 (0) 91 31 / 7 76-62 77
Fax      +49 (0) 91 31 / 7 76-20 99