Dear list,

I'm looking for easy to use natural sound sources that can be used to calibrate
a playback system, especially headphones and in-ear monitors, without the use
of specialized equipment.
This website uses a neat trick, but I wonder if there are more precise ways:

http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php

"rub your hands together, in front of your nose, quickly and firmly, and try
producing the same sound as our calibration file. You are now generating a
reference sound that is approximately 65 dBSPL. As you play back our
calibration file, adjust your computer's volume to match the sound level you
just heard from you hands. Proceed back and forth - preferably with your eyes
closed, to increase concentration - until both levels match. Then, do not touch
your computer's volume knob anymore. Calibration is done: your computer's
volume knob has been set to match 65 dBSPL. This procedure should give us a
confidence of approximately 10 dBHL in the next hearing test."

Thanks,
Kees de Visser