Dear Marc,

Spatial acoustic data is typically described by spatial acoustic transfer
functions. AES69 describes a format for storing spatial acoustic data with a
focus on interchangeability and extensibility and provides a basis for a wider
generalized interchange of space-related audio data. It allows to store, e.g.,
room impulse responses measured with microphone arrays and loudspeaker arrays.

AES69/SOFA is thus not limited to HRTF/HRIR data. There is no preference on
binaural listening, but it all started from a discussion on sharing HRTF data
in between research labs.

What is the difference between AES69 and SOFA:

AES69 builds upon SOFA. It consists of “general specifications” and
“conventions”. Conventions define recommendations on the naming of AES69
attributes, variables, and dimensions for discipline-specific data structures,
that is particular measurement setups. In other standards a set of
“conventions" is often referred to as a “profile”. New conventions are
discussed on the SOFA website. When a new convention is considered to be stable
enough, it will be added to the AES69 standard through the normal revision
process.

The current version of AES69 standardizes
— The frequency domain representation of head-related transfer functions
(HRTFs);
— The time domain representation of HRTFs, that is head-related impulse
— The time domain representation of HRTFs measured in reverberant spaces, that
is binaural room impulse responses (BRIRs).

We hope that we soon can add the following conventions to the standard:
— The Quadrature Mirror Filter (QMF) domain representation of free-field HRTFs,
that is the set of QMF parameters; or, even more generally,
— The time domain representation of spatiotemporal room impulse responses, that
is directional room impulse responses (DRIRs); and
— The modal representation of the 3-D wave field, that is the spherical
harmonics coefficients of the incoming/outgoing wave field.

In our research lab, we are currently using an alpha version of a SOFA
convention for storing MIMO room impulse responses that were measured with a
32-channel spherical loudspeaker array and a 64-channel spherical microphone
array. These data can be then represented in various formats, such as the room
impulse responses for each transmission channel (i.e. the transfer paths
between each loudspeaker and each microphone) or the spherical harmonics
coefficients of emitted and received wave fields, respectively.

Please note that AES69 is a “spatial acoustic” and not a “spatial audio”
format. You could of course use AES69/SOFA to store multichannel audio data,
but I would recommend using more convenient multichannel audio data file
formats such us broadcast WAV.

I hope that this answers your questions?

Kind regards,

Markus