Why not follow the well known and also psychoacoustic  based corner frequency
of 80 Hz with 24/18db octave filters.

If the subwoofers are of good quality and do not produce distortion products
that  are  in higher frequency ranges,
clean sounds below 80Hz are not possible to localize without higher frequency
being part of the played sound.

The improvement of having several Subwoofers in a room to even out room
frequency distortion products by playing the individual sub's at a lower level
may be  the main reason you like more subwoofers..
As a comment - many subwoofers are self powered or ofte driven by external
power amplifiers and not only by a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater amplifier.

We should not try to solve low frequency replay problems by thinking they are
ambisonic related when they are not :-)

The sound pressure derivate or wave front difference from 2 close ( 1-4 meters)
for a pair of subs (or 3 or 4 ) are not detectable - and where can you get a
stereo/ambisonic signal that contains those timer differences?

I am building my rig using KEF Eggs from KHT-2005 setups.

Bo-Erik Sandholm