On 2015-04-22, Peter Lennox wrote:

I'd be interested in any references indicating deleterious effects on hearing of high amplitudes at LF, if anyone comes across any

No references from me, as usual, but there is a certain logic behind the claim. First, because of the loudness sensitivity curve, even very high levels of LF fail to register as being loud, eventhough the damage to acoustocilia correlates with overall amplitude and not frequency. So from that viewpoint the problem isn't that LF is more dangerous per se, it's that bass heavy mixes fool you into playing them too loud for too long. And second, I seem to remember that LF also doesn't as readily trigger our protective reflexes, like the stapedius one, which then compounds the error.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2