The rear lobes of a figure-8 decode in VVMic should be inverted just like
those of a physical figure-8 mic.  It's a linear decoder and not really
capable of anything else.  Harpex, being a parametric decoder, could be
producing a figure-8 pattern with non-inverting rear lobes, or with the
rear lobes swapped, but I doubt they do.  Someone with the Harpex plugin
could test this by panning an impulse into one of the rear lobes and
checking the results.

I'd say it's more likely that some subtle combination of the spatial
aliasing from the large array with the parametric decoder in Harpex is
producing different results than a linear decode of the same spatial
aliasing.  Neither can really be correct in the upper, aliased part of the
spectrum and so it's not surprising to me that they would sound different.
This could be tested by filtering out frequencies above the aliasing point,
though with an array that large this will be pretty low (~2kHz?).

I might also suggest, as a point of comparison, to test against a simple
mix of the inputs.  Ignoring fine points like shelf filters and NFC, a
figure-8 decode is simply L=X+Y, R=X-Y.

David McGriffy
VVAudio.com