Marc Lavallée wrote:

The upcoming Ozo spherical camera by Nokia with have 8 lens and 8
microphones capsules. That's all the specs I found. Will it use
Ambisonics?
--
Marc

Well, the specifications of Nokia's VR camera are finally out.

See for example:

http://www.biztekmojo.com/001681/vr-nokia-introduces-ozo-virtual-reality-camera-60000-starts-shipping-q1-2016

Audio:

-------------------------------------

# Audio Sensor Type: Omnidirectional, solid state
# Audio Area Coverage: Full-spherical, 360 x 360 degrees
# Audio Dynamic Range: 64dB S/N, 120dB max SPL
- See more at: http://www.biztekmojo.com/001681/vr-nokia-introduces-ozo-virtual-reality-camera-60000-starts-shipping-q1-2016#sthash.svOSBEUI.dpuf

# Audio Sensor Type: Omnidirectional, solid state
# Audio Area Coverage: Full-spherical, 360 x 360 degrees
# Audio Dynamic Range: 64dB S/N, 120dB max SPL
- See more at: http://www.biztekmojo.com/001681/vr-nokia-introduces-ozo-virtual-reality-camera-60000-starts-shipping-q1-2016#sthash.svOSBEUI.dpuf

Audio Sensor Type: Omnidirectional, solid state
Audio Area Coverage: Full-spherical, 360 x 360 degrees
Audio Dynamic Range: 64dB S/N, 120dB max SPL

--------------------------------------

These specifications can be seen on Nokia's page, obviously.

Will it use
Ambisonics?

No.  But nevertheless, a camera with full-sphere audio capture....

The specs are really very interesting, for several reasons.

In a private e-mail conversation with a major microphone (and of course surround) expert, we (or at least I...) came to the conclusion that the principle on which the Ozo microphone is based could be a supercardioid 8-channel hedgehog configuration, where 8 capsules (w. supercardioid response) are positioned at the corners of a cube. (See Ozo pictures, including openings for the microphone capsules.)

Similar if not identical: (Schoeps')ORTF-3D microphone.

However, Nokia states in the official specifications that the capsules are "omnidirectional"...

It could still be that the Ozo case would shield sound "from behind" (referring to the capsules, of course). If so (?), you would obtain a "de facto" cardioid 8-channel hedgehog microphone.

Or does Ozo introduce a new form of full-spherical microphone?!

I will keep looking into this. I also believe that Nokia could be a lot clearer about how the audio part of this < professional > VR camera actually works. (They righteously insist that immersive audio is a very important part of any VR experience.)

Best regards,

Stefan

P.S.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZxC2_Lb41k