--------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: [Sursound] Wireless speakers
From: "Marc Lavall&eacute;e" <m...@hacklava.net>
Date: 12/17/15 9:20 am
To: "Surround Sound discussion group" <sursound@music.vt.edu>

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 08:03:33 -0700, mgra...@mstvp.com wrote:

 > The latest Chromecast Audio seems like it could be part of a modular
 > solution. It would take some code to piece it together, but ti's
 > pretty accessible. For those proposing RaspberryPi solutions there is
 > the HiFiBerry DAC which comes in analog and SPDIF output versions. It
 > even comes in a version with a 25w onboard amplifier, but I'm not
 > certain what that gets you. If it could be powered over Ethernet, and
 > achieve suitable output levels, that could reduce the cable
 > requirement to one per RPi+amp+speaker. Wireless is never really
 > wireless when power is something other than batteries. Michael Graves

 About Power Over Ethernet: it's good to know that 802.3af is limited to
 15.3W per device, while 802.3at can provide up to 25.5 W per device:
 http://www.rhyshaden.com/eth_poe.htm

 Indeed. I've used POE for IP phones and surveillance cameras for years. It's
further complicated by upstream power limits of the network switch. It may only
support full power on a limited subset of its ports.

Still, given efficient digital amplification it could suite some applications.
There is a POE shield for the RPi that was a Kickstarter project...not yet
delivering but in process.

Michael