Thanks for all the replies to my initial question.

I have done some testing with all three approaches today. My conclusion so far
is that running noise reduction on the B-format signal as two stereo pairs (WX
and YZ) ends up distorting the sound field (spatial artefacts, less pronounced
spatialisation). Doing it on the A-format signals sounds much better. I’ve not
yet reached any conclusion on whether there are any differences between
processing the original recorded A-format signals, or A-format signals decoded
from B-format using ATK.

But workflow-wise it seems faster to do this using the VST/AU plugins rather
than the standalone application, with all the splitting and linking of audio
files required in that process.

Best,
Trond