Martin Dupras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm intending to try setting up a 16-speaker Ambisonics array next
> week in a small TV studio. I'm trying to figure out the practical
> arrangements for setting up the speakers. I was wondering if anyone
> with experience might be able to offer some advice or point me in the
> right direction?
>
> What I'm planning at the moment is a half-sphere arrangement which
> would likely consist of:
>
> - 8 speakers in a circle of radius 2m at a height of approximately 1.6m
> - 6 speakers in a smaller circle at an elevation of 45 degrees
> - 2 speakers at an elevation of approximately 75 degrees
>
> Alternatively, I would be happy with an arrangement similar to the
> first 16-speakers in this diagramme:
> http://www.matthiaskronlachner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/loudspeaker-plan-observatory.jpg
>
> I've been trying to find out if there is a convention or "most usual"
> arrangement but couldn't find anything. I'm not particularly attached
> to the actual arrangement, I just want to find an arrangement that
> will work well enough with 16 speakers. Any advice?

I have no experience with full-sphere systems,
so please ignore everything I say.

You don't say what order of Ambisonics you
will be using.  With first-order all speakers
cooperate to localise a sound, so that when
speakers above push those below pull.  It
therefore helps to have speakers placed above
and below the height of the listeners' ears.
Your proposed arrangement does not appear
to do this, while the Observatory Vilnius
arrangement does.  With higher orders this is
less of a concern.

If the material you will be using is mostly
horizontal-only then many speakers level with
the listeners' ears helps.  If the material makes
full use of the whole sphere then the closer you
can get to a Platonic solid the better.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org