umashankar manthravadi wrote:

when you have four speakers to each ear, you can think of a decode to a cube.

The multiple driver model shown on OSSIC's presentation page
(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/248983394/ossic-x-the-first-3d-audio-headphones-calibrated-t)

does < not > correspond to a cube layout!

You seem to have an up/front/back/down driver model.

The drivers's are obviously in near-field distance, so a head/torso filter would have to be applied be4...

The only big difference between a cube mounted at a distance and this would be
the importance of the head shadow. If you can cancel head movement (which
headtracking does) it is very similar to listening to a cube of speakers in a
room.

No, because this would require < BRIR > measurements...

there are some details of course. You do not need individual HRTFs.

It seems to be pretty unclear how OSSIC < combines > HRTFs and a multi-driver headphone.

Their personalisation process seems to measure (just) the ear-distance. Important but not enough?

Uncomplete information everywhere...

I personally would prefer conventional headphones, HT and properly done personalisation. (Products like BRS or Smyth Research's Realiser A8 are available for the professional and audiophile markets. They work very well and are not based on multi-driver concepts. Their Polhemnus etc. trackers could be replaced with much cheaper motion sensors, by now. "Properly done personalisation" is still a trickier problem.)

Best,

Stefan

I am not sure what different head sizes will do. If the foam support compresses
(and the distance to the drivers is fixed) it may not matter.

umashankar