The best way i have found is to bus everything out to another app like
Reaper. This way you can pretty much use any DAW.
You can either use soundflower, jack,  osx core audio networking or similar
to pipe it out within the same machine.  Using core midi for sync and even
automation of reaper plugs.
I personally use two different machines and a load of adat light pipe
interfaces. With midi via ethernet, and sync via midi, smpte or vitc. One
machine does standard mixing and sequencing (pro tools, logic and ableton),
while the other takes care of spatialisation and decoding (reaper). I
operate both machines from the same machine via remote desk top/screen
sharing.  On two touch sensitive screens.
It works well and is extremely flexible.
I have various decodes set up on folder tracks in reaper that allow me
bounce loads of different channel counts.  I also have various input
channels set up to process different channel counts live. This helps to
getting up and running fast.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Steve.