From: Richard Lee <rica...@justnet.com.au>
To: 'Surround Sound discussion group' <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Sent: Tue, Mar 29, 2016 8:04 pm
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Soundfield MK IV Disassembly

> I have a question for the keepers of ancient wisdom: how does one remove
the capsule assembly from a Soundfield MK IV microphone? I have one on
which the 1 kilohm "capsule heater" resistor has gone open circuit. The
cone on the MK V and newer is split and comes apart pretty readily, but the
MK IV cone is solid and it's not apparent how to reach the resistor.

Rudy, It's more than 30 yrs since I took a Mk4 capsule assembly apart so
bear with me I'm pontificating from the wrong orifice.

1       Unsolder the leads from capsule to PCB.
        Can't remember if you can reach this from inside as the connections may
be
in the cone section.
        If so (!!#*??), you'll have to disassemble the capsule assembly, remove
at
least 2 capsules on their tetrahedron sections and unsolder from the tags
behind the capsule.

        Keep the capsules in their little holder to provide some measure of
protection but this is still a brain surgery type operation.

2       The tetrahedron stalk is screwed to a brass block on the PCB.  The 1k
resistor is sandwiched to the block/stalk in some way which I've long
forgotten.  IIRC, there was another small PCB whose sole purpose was to
clamp the resistor.

3       Removing the tetrahedron allows the cone to come off.

I you have the set of dwgs which were supplied with early Mk4s, there
should be one that makes this clearer (or not).

My apologies for this Heath Robinson design from my mispent youth.