After request, Ralph Glasgal gave me permission to post some private mail on sursound.

This is all highly interesting, IMO...

Thanks for sending me this directly.  ...

The idea is to deliver to the ear what it would have heard in a concert
hall.  What I was discussing here is just the frontal direct sound plus the
very very early reflections from the rear half circle.  RACE in front
removes the crosstalk and so allows the full value of time and level
differences to reach the ears in front.  But the pinna region is not fully
accommodated with just two front central speakers.  So I blur this frontal
bias with a pinna signal from the rear and this allows the brain to localize
to the far sides using the lower frequency cues.  But this full range rear
signal turns out to increase envelopment as well as frontal stage width.
Yes, if you crosstalk cancel any signal you lower the IACC but we are not
talking here about long time hall reverb or diffuse fields.  If you turn off
RACE in the rear the only thing that you are doing is making these new
discrete rear vectors have low and indeed erroneous values of ITD and ILD
and worse have the same static values for all frontal source positions.
Again this rear sound has nothing to do with recorded hall ambience.
I think it is fair to say that if you want realism you need to deliver to
the ear what it hears in everyday real life.  So using a pair of rear
speakers this way is just one step to delivering a normal sound field to a
listener in the home from standard recorded media.  With six speakers you
can have a full circle of sound in the horizontal plane, lots of
envelopment, with the third pair delivering rear hall ambience with good
IACC values if you crosstalk cancel it.  For 2.0 files you can have surround
hall ambience using speakers and a convolver to put the frontal enveloping
direct sound field in a large concert hall and get height reflections if you
are into that.

Again this envelopment effect has nothing to do with any reflections
included in the recording.  These are likely much later than what is
involved here.  In a concert hall you have directional reflections coming
from nearby seats and heads for each instrument in the orchestra and so the
rear speakers mimic this effect.  Ambiophonics also treats discrete recorded
reflections as if they were additional direct sound sources and so delivers
them to the ears with reasonable values of ILD and ITD as well as better
pinna angles.  I would not use the term decorrelation.  This is just
eliminating localization cue distortion caused by having speakers at 30
degrees or 110 in the case of 5.1.

I hope this helps.

Ralph