From: Eric Benjamin<mailto:eb...@pacbell.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 2:55 AM
To: Surround Sound discussion group<mailto:sursound@music.vt.edu>; Augustine
Leudar<mailto:augustineleu...@gmail.com>; Surround Sound discussion
group<mailto:sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Zoom H2n firmware update for spatial audio + surround
podcast produciton

The principle problem with using the ZoomH2n for Ambisonics recording is that
the capsules are arranged in such a way that left obstructs right and right
obstructs left. This can be seen in the photos on Daniel's web page
athttp://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/images/h2_01.jpg
The result of the obstruction is that the polar patterns are severe!y
compromised. They can't be modeled as a simple sum of zero and first order
components which means that the recovered B-format will have significant
errors. Also , the directions of the polar patterns vary with frequency.
This doesnt mean that it shouldn't be used, just that it could be better. Any
one who is willing to modify could try exchanging the positions of the capsules
between left and right. Or changing them to a square configuration.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Augustine Leudar<augustineleu...@gmail.com>
wrote:   I guess it would be able to position sounds on the horizontal plane,
the
gap between the capsules means high frequencies with wavelengths shorter
than that gap might be a bit off . I do a fair bit of sound design - my
opinion is that for stereo theres not much point in trying to create
"immersive 3d sound" - Id say a minimum of quadrophonic would be necesary.
Of course broacasting surround sound is a great option. Theres loads more
that you can do than just ambisonics though .

On 18 May 2016 at 17:40, Courville, Daniel <courville.dan...@uqam.ca> wrote:

> Brendan Baker wrote:
>
> >this update now enables the H2N to spit out a 4-channel WAV file somewhat
> resembling b-format, minus the vertical channel.
>
> It is B-Format, ambiX: ACN channel sequence (WYZX), SN3D normalization.
>
> >My assumption was/is that the orientation of the H2N's mic capsules
> wouldn't create a true ambisonic image.
>
> Why?
>
> Here's a small recording I did yesterday after updating the Zoom H2n. It's
> a street corner in Montreal, just beside UQAM.
>
> http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/audio/mtl-uqam-acn-sn3d.flac
>
> FuMa version: http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/audio/mtl-uqam-fuma.flac
>
> - Daniel

Augustine Leudar