On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 07:54:42PM +0000, James Anthony Enda Bates wrote:

>   so it seems to be very common practice now to convert from 3rd order to
> 1st order by simply using the first 4 channels of the 3rd order stream.
> However, I have this very vague recollection of that not being quite right
> and that there are some differences between the WXYZ channels in different
> orders? But I cant seem to pinpoint the reference or source for that, so
> perhaps my memory is just wrong?

It is. First order signals are just a subset of any higher order.

> Any one have any ideas on this? Could this be an issue with Furse-Malham,
> rather than Ambi-X, or am I just completely wrong about that?

That's an entirely separate issue. If you take for example the first
four channels of third order Ambix set, you get an Ambix first order
order signal. Then if you need FuMa first order you need to adjust
the W gain.

A different matter is e.g. using a higher order decoder with only a
first order signal, or mixing a first order signal into a higher
order one. Then for best results you need to modify the first order
signals. This may be what you remember.

Ciao,

--
FA