Thanks all so far – very generous and helpful.

On 18/09/2017, 18:21, "Sursound on behalf of Hyunkook Lee"
<sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu on behalf of h....@hud.ac.uk> wrote:

    Hello,

    The attached papers of mine may be relevant to your question.  PCMA, a
surround mic technique I proposed and evaluated in the papers does not use
multiple ambisonic microphones, but uses 5 pairs of coincident microphones
arranged in a spaced array. The purpose is to control perceived front-back
perspective (zoom in/out) creating a virtual microphone with a different polar
pattern and direction at each pickup point. (see Figure 3 in the 2011 paper).
The same technique can be used for surround recording with height (the
secondary mic in each pair captures more ambience than direct sound and is
therefore routed to a height channel for spatial impression).

    Hope this is useful.

    Hyunkook

    Dr Hyunkook Lee, BMus(Tonmeister), PhD, MAES, FHEA
    Senior Lecturer in Music Technology
    Leader of the Applied Psychoacoustics Laboratory (APL)
    http://www.hud.ac.uk/apl
    http://www.hyunkooklee.com
    Phone: +44 (0)1484 471893
    Email: h....@hud.ac.uk