At 12:19 15-09-18, Eero Aro wrote:
David Pickett wrote:

This is a welcome price, but unfortunately, for that kind of money you dont get any numerical specifications, graphs, or guarantee of capsule matching, repeatability or variance between examples, all of which determine its potential value as a professional tool.

For about thirty years I have been waiting for an Ambisonic microphone
for a non-professional user. I welcome Zoom's new product with pleasure!

I have been using my employer's Soundfield Mk IV and V and the ST250.
All of them have been noisy and expensive buggers not suited for my pocket
money to buy one for my personal use.  All other, later Ambisonic mic models
have also been and are too expensive for me to buy. That's why the Zoom H3 is
welcome and it will surely find buyers. There is a market gap for a reasonably
priced Ambisonic microphone.

I do understand that the H3 will not be technically and audio quality wise
at as high level as products that cost ten on more times more, but the biggest
problem with all Ambisonic gear during the years has been that there hasn't
been equipment for the ordinary home user. Only some decoders, such as
the Minims were targeted for the home, and even them were a bit complicated
for Joe D to set up.

I totally agree about the fundamental inadequacies of the Soundfield mics that Eero lists. But I dont see why there cannot today be better products that dont cost the earth. Technical quality should not be assumed to be suspect on grounds of price alone. Quality control is measurable and can be done automatically in this day and age. By using electret capsules and digital measurement techniques, modern microphones can be mass produced more cheaply than the designs of 50 years ago. That being the case, I do not understand why today we get no published specifications of FR, polar diagram, FR, with +/- n dB tolerances.

David