This is fine if you know what the general level is going to be. But if you
are running and gunning actors, that go from a very quiet whisper at
distance to a full on scream at close range, then the security of
limiters,  is useful. Especially combined with random environments that
cause all sorts of thumps, pops and clicks.
I would rather files flattened like a pancake, than the sound of a preamp
getting over hot, or even worse an adc overloading.

There are also times when the reduction of bit depth caused by low level
recording has detrimental effects in post. Files get transfered and
converted through various processes, fx and equipment, that ultimately
messes with gain structure. And of course each one is operated by a human
you have no control of. Which means by the time they arrive on your
timeline, those so called non limited 24bit files sound like a sand paper
rub..

Best

Steve