Bruce's posting reminded me to upgrade VLC to 3.0.4.

It says here https://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/3.0.0.html : "VLC supports 360 video and 3D audio, up to Ambisonics 3rd order"

In the basic installation, there is an "Ambisonics renderer and binauralizer" plugin listed under "Tools/Plugins and extensions". I dont know whether it needs some action to install it, but in any case, I am not interested in Binaural.

In April 2014 (how time flies!), when I was putting some test 4.0 multichannel .mp4 files on my website, I feel sure that I had them play back locally through VLC, but I could be mistaken, and I cant recall how I might have done it.

David