On 17/12/2018 09:39, Dave Hunt wrote:

How might they phase/time align the capsules ??

This must indeed be highly complex, as it is frequency dependent (low
frequencies have smaller phase differences than high frequencies) as well as
source directionally (across multiple blind sources) dependent.

Surely this is just multiple beam-forming - taking the different signal levels of single events at each capsule and correcting them in the time domain to be aligned as closely as possible. Yes, that's frequency dependent so has to be done narrow band, but can be done for multiple events, a multiple number of times.

This seems to be an approach that's been used by at least two mic manufacturers that I know  of (Audio Technica and Schoeps) to improve directivity of axial mics. With increasing processing power the ability to generate more simultaneous beams allows this to be done for multiple directions. The ones that I know use this technique use flat arrays and limit the beams to a 180° arc, but I don't see any reason not to extend the technique to 360° or a full orb.

I should state that this is entirely supposition - I have no actual knowledge of doing this.

Chris Woolf

---