I'm wondering if it is the case that if the ambisonic recording is made
with in-ear microphones then earbuds would make more sense, and if it's
done with microphones outside the ear (clipped on the sides of the head or
above the ear) then over-the-ear headphones would work. I record using
microphones over the ear and I find that playback using closed back
over-the-ear headphones works the best.

Hector